Birth Doula Care
Birth Doula Information
In today's day, a doula is someone supporting a woman (and partner) going through labor and birth. She is there through the thick and thin of this intense time. The type of support is physical and emotional. Some examples of what a doula would help with are comfort measures including massage, positional changes, fears, anxiety, atmosphere of birthing room, etc…
By choosing a doula the statistics show several things:
• tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
• reduces negative feelings about one's childbirth experience
• reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction
• reduces the requests for pain medication and epidurals, as well as the incidence of cesareans
Learn more about Doulas in general at: DONA International's Birth Doula FAQs page.
Ranelle's Personal Doula Care
First of all, congrats on taking a great step toward a better birth by hiring a doula!
It has been a passion from a very young age to be with women in labor and birth. I attained a DONA certified doula in 1998. Thought the years experiencing and enjoying home, birth center and hospital births with different types of birth: natural vaginal, narcotics, epidurals, planned and unplanned cesareans, multiples, breech, VBAC & HVBAC, waterbirth and even adoption!
I am also a Certified Massage therapist. I specialize in prenatal, labor/birth, infant, and postpartum massage! My table has belly and breast cut outs so mommies can lie face down and enjoy a wonderful massage!
As your doula my two main personal goals are:
• To help your labor and birth be the most positive experience for you as it can be.
• To include the father (or other support persons) in the labor and birth as much as he/you would like him to be.
As far as my contract the following things are included:
• Prenatal consultation
• Continuous physical and emotional support in labor and birth
• Breastfeeding support
• Postpartum consultation
• Pre and Postnatal phone consultations
• Help with birth plan if desired
• 24/7 on call service
• Document birth and labor with photographs
• Chart Labor and Birth Record
In addition to the regular doula services, the last two areas listed I feel are vital in a better and more rewarding birth. Capturing the facts of the labor and birth and photography, this can be tailored to your wishes. These will bring lasting memories of the wonderful experience in giving life to your newborn(s).
It is an absolute joy to work with women and their families in their childbearing years.